Friday, July 31, 2009

Chocolate Cream-Filled Cupcakes

My friend and co-worker, Laurie, just came back from her honeymoon, today is her birthday, and she needs to prepare for her half marathon on Sunday. Go figure, the first thing I thought to do for the girl was bake her something. Of course, as suggested by one of my readers, I will also include the recipe (Thanks, math buddy!).

The creation: Chocolate Cream-Filled Cupcakes! Thank you, Average Betty for the delicious idea/recipe!

Note: The only alteration I made to the recipe was that I used JELLO pudding (since I had it and it is much less complicated than making your own pudding), and I used the wilton recipe for the frosting.

Ingredients for 12 chocolate cupcakes:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
3 1/2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Fudge Pudding:
1 packet of JELLO Chocolate Fudge Instant Pudding
2 C cold milk, as directed on package.

Buttercream Frosting (by Wilton):
1/2 C Solid Vegetable Shortening
1/2 C (1 stick) butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 C powdered sugar
2 T milk

Directions:
1) Whisk your instant pudding and milk until it becomes creamy. Set aside.
2) Cream together butter and sugars. Gradually add the eggs, melted chocolate, and vanilla.
3) In a separate bowl, mix the flour and baking soda. Fold this dry mixture into the wet mixture. 4) Fold in the buttermilk.
5) Line cupcake molds with paper liners and fill the cups with the batter (mine made 14 cupcakes!).
6) Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.
7) Cut a valley into the center of each cupcake. Fill the valley with pudding, and place the part you cut out back in to the cupcake.
8) Frost the cupcake with buttercream frosting. Top with sprinkles, if desired. :)

I have some extra, if you wish to try some ;)

6 comments:

  1. hooray for recipes ... now i gotta find time to actually bake said confection

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i meant to say:

    uh... that's AMAZIN! and, yes. I will try some! do you think they'll stay fresh for 1 or more years?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww...if I freeze them, they might stay "fresh" for ... a month? Hehe sorry Joey :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have got to be kidding me!
    How is it that I have not tasted any of your creations????????

    ReplyDelete